Re: [asa] HPSS - Survey of Views

From: Jack Haas <haas.john@comcast.net>
Date: Thu Apr 03 2008 - 15:55:31 EDT
To the guilty as charged and the "not guilty"

You were the philosopher and  historian that I went to for help in an earlier life as editor of PSCF.  Thank you both. :-)
Your role in those situations was to correct or affirm the facts as best you could in cases where the writer was doing history or philosophy or
world view construction.  Others helped me with hermeneutical questions.  However, I never asked any of those experts for help
when I was struggling with chemiluminescence in my lab when I was practicing science nor do any of the list who are scientists.
Patent layers do come in handy at times but not at the microscope.

Now one can argue that philosophy/theology of sorts played certain roles prior to ca. 1720 but today???  Prayer???

Now I would recommend that younger scientists pay attention to the culture of science as played out in the
real world today - political, ethical,... - and would be so insensitive as to mention the problems that some current
"scientists" have gotten into when crossing the line.

D. F. Siemens, Jr. wrote:
Guilty as charged. However, I have not read much from the four, but have
encountered serious critiques that they do not represent the history of
science accurately. The same holds for what scientists do qua scientists.
I try not to legislate the activities of scientists, though I have to
recognize that the Creator cannot be put in a test tube.
Dave (ASA)
On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 08:29:34 -0700 Jim Armstrong <jarmstro@qwest.net>