Re: [asa] Woo and Response on KUNC

From: Rich Blinne <rich.blinne@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Apr 03 2008 - 14:48:13 EDT

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 9:20 AM, Alexanian, Moorad <alexanian@uncw.edu>
wrote:

> I suggest we think seriously if we believe that there is intelligence
> behind the creation and, possibly, share our thoughts with the rest of us.
> In particular, how that intelligence manifests itself in the data collected
> by experimental scientists and on the very intelligence needed by scientists
> to study Nature and all that there is in it.
>

> Moorad

This is illustrative of exactly what I wanted to talk about. The answer to
the first question is utterly obvious. Of course the answer is yes, but
since the language of ID has been hijacked by the IDM this question
apparently needs to be asked. The ASA has a reference to the Apostle's Creed
in our statement of beliefs. "I believe in God the Father Almighty, Creator
of Heaven and Earth." This says far more than a belief in an arbitrary
"intelligent designer". So, as much as there is complaints about
evolutionary creationism it says far more than ID about the origin of the
Universe.

Scripture tells us one of the hallmarks of Creation by God is order (cf. 1
Cor. 14). Science attests to this order. But you cannot argue in my opinion
from that order in the Universe to the (philosophically necessary) existence
of God. Thus, what is in debate is whether intelligent design -- which all
of us believes in -- is *scientifically* detectable. I am not sure that this
is possible even in theory. It is up to those who claim that not only is
possible but they have found such a detection mechanism to show that it is
so. As Carl Sagan aptly said extraordinary claims requires extraordinary
evidence. It is out of bounds to personally attack those who are skeptical
of such claims as believing in "scientism" or are persecuting fellow
Christians. Submit the evidence, put it under peer review and make your
case. If you are successful there are many of us who would be more than
happy to be wrong. However, laying out fear, uncertainty, and doubt before
the case is made is destructive and corrosive to the scientific enterprise
in particular and society in general.

Note: any use of the word "you" above is not directed at any particular
person but rather to a generic ID proponent.

Rich Blinne (Member ASA)