Re: [asa] HPSS - Survey of Views

From: Don Nield <d.nield@auckland.ac.nz>
Date: Thu Apr 03 2008 - 01:06:18 EDT

I can only speak for myself. I have read all four authors -- as a hobby
I took a course in the Philosophy of Science. It is useful to know
something about falsification, paradigms, productive research programs
and way-out ideas about the sociology of science, but these are
peripheral to my main interests.
Don

Gregory Arago wrote:
> A thought came to me while reading Paul Feyerabend's short text "How to Defend Society Against Science" (1975), in which he opens by acknowledging an interest in 'the relations between science and religion.' Or at least, writing an article about it was something that helped to pay his bills.
>
> This is my question: How interested are people at ASA in four key figures in (studies of) the history, philosophy and sociology of science - Popper, Kuhn, Lakatos and Feyerabend? Is there any way to take a survey or get a general indication of who's read these persons, to what degree and if it has made any impact on ASA discussions of 'science and religion'?
>
> Thanks,
> Gregory
>

> ---------------------------------

Donald A. Nield
Associate Professor, Department of Engineering Science
University of Auckland
Private Bag 92019
Auckland 1142, NEW ZEALAND
ph  +64 9 3737599 x87908
fax +64 9 3737468
Courier address: 70 Symonds Street, Room 235 or 305
d.nield@auckland.ac.nz
http://www.esc.auckland.ac.nz/People/Staff/dnie003/