Re: [asa] Grains among the chaff (skimming the 'God Delusion')

From: Michael Roberts <michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Mon Mar 31 2008 - 15:01:37 EDT

Merv and Charles

That is why I yawned. I will yawn again as I consider that Dawk went to Oxford where the college structure enables or even makes it unavoidable for students to mix extensively with students studying other subjects. Hence any Oxford undergrad, unless a total recluse or hopelessly tied up with chicks*, would be part of a group and partake of intellectual discussion across the subjects, and learn what others were doing. It was a simple way of giving Gen Ed courses. That meant for me that I learnt from those studying French and German literature, philosophy, classics, theology, history, economics, psychology, metallurgy, chemistry, music etc. Despite my then lack of belief I picked up much basic theology from 3 theology undergrads, - 2 American one an atheist ex RC monk, and the other a budding Episcopalian priest. That in combination with chapel groups gave me wide knowledge. Dawk not only went through that but for 40 years has been a don at New College, and could hardly have avoided discussions in the Senior Common Room with theologians. Hence I have little tolerance for his attitudes and studied ignorance of Christianity.

Dawk doesn't even seem to have read the Gospels. and his description of Matt and Luke is poor.

I am aware many flounder on these questions and a major part of the problem is the popular literalism, which I have often found in the Anglican church among members. The Bible has been presented as uniform either all literally true or all myth, but the "official view" being the former. Hence problems rise over birth narratives, revelation, the prophets and Genesis. Teaching at all levels helps but sadly many don't see this as relevant and prefer a simple faith. This may seem patronising but I have found this among all levels of ability and in Britain it comes out every Christmas when journalists suddenly discover that there weren't 3 wise men etc.

Undoubtedly Peter Enns would help and much basic biblical interpretation of the past

Michael

* Dawk's D Phil thesis was on the pecking order of chicks.