Re: [asa] Grains among the chaff (skimming the 'God Delusion')

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Mar 31 2008 - 09:04:58 EDT

Interesting questions Merv. It's well known that the literary relationship
between the synoptic Gospels (Matt., Mark and Luke) is somewhat unclear,
hence the term "synoptic problem." Even conservative scholars acknowledge
that the synoptic Gospel writers selected and arranged some preexisting
material for theological and literary purposes (in fact, Luke 1 specifically
mentions pre-existing tradition). So, if you come to the synoptic Gospels
expecting to find simple, clean timelines, you'll be disappointed (or
thrilled, depending on your perspective). The events in the synoptic
Gospels are more like selected portraits or scenes, not necessarily in
chronological order.

As to the census, the Greek grammar here apparently presents some
difficulties. Some have noted that Luke 2:2 points out "this was the first
census taken while Quirinius was governor...." This could suggest there was
more than one census. One proposal suggests that Luke is distinguishing the
census in A.D. 6 from an earlier registration (see here:
http://www.hypotyposeis.org/weblog/2004/12/luke-22-and-census.html).

As to Jesus' family traveling to Egypt, Luke 2 seems to suggest that after
Jesus was blessed at the temple, the family returned to Nazareth; there is a
verse about Jesus continuing to grow strong, and then the narrative
continues in the next verse with Jesus as a 12-year-old. In the events in
Matt. 2, one thing people often note is that Herod's decree was for the
death of all boys two years old and under (Matt. 2:16). This suggests that
the Magi did not visit immediately at Jesus' birth, as is popularly
supposed. It may be that the Magi visited when Jesus was around two years
old, and that Matthew fills in some details of Jesus' life between when he
was two and twelve years old that Luke omits. Robert Gundry, however,
suggests that the Magi scene is a sort of midrash (a non-historical
interpretive gloss on the underlying events) -- a suggestion that was quite
controversial in evangelical circles.

One thing that strikes me -- it seems that the Gospel writers could have
done a much better job if the Gospels were mere fabrications and these
"errors" are as obvious as critics such as Dawkins thinks they are.
Wouldn't Luke's original readers have known immediately if the reference to
the census was an obvious gaffe? Josephus, writing at around the same time
or maybe a little later than Luke, refers to the census of Quirinius, so it
was evidently a significant event that was remembered for some time. One
might argue that Luke made a mistake of some kind (and I don't think even
that's necessary), which would question some notions of inerrancy, but this
hardly suggests a "fabrication."

--
David W. Opderbeck
Associate Professor of Law