RE: [asa] A few literal problems in Genesis

From: Dick Fischer <dickfischer@verizon.net>
Date: Mon Mar 31 2008 - 00:45:33 EDT

Hi Dave:

Let me put a few pieces together. Babylonian tradition puts the Garden
of Eden somewhere near the ancient city of Eridu. Eridu was the sacred
city to the Sumerians who arrived years later as Sumerian pottery is
found at higher levels. Date palms grow there naturally which I believe
equate to the tree of life and are depicted often in Sumerian and
Akkadian cylinder seals. Eridu, modern Abu Sharein, was excavated in
1941-2 and the lowest level was dated by archaeologists to 4800 BC. No
other site in the region dates earlier. Enoch that Cain built, or Erech
(same city), was dated to 4000 BC so the time frames are about what you
would expect. Pottery found at the lowest level at Eridu in the view of
archaeologists came from two different cultures, one Ubaidan and the
other of unknown origin, I think Adamite. The people we call
"Akkadians" are, I believe, Adamites before the flood and Semites after
the flood.

This region had to be irrigated from the beginning as there is
insufficient rainfall. A small site was discovered close to Eridu
called Haji Mohammed where the pottery matched that at Eridu. So it is
possible that this was the garden, or maybe not, however, after
banishment Adam may have moved to the city where an altar was built and
a small shrine erected dedicated to the god Ea. Ea is, according to the
legend of Adapa (or Adamu), the creator of mankind.

Now as to Gen. 2:5b-6, just in general, there was insufficient rainfall
and no man (or Adam) was not there to till the ground, so an irrigation
canal ("fountain" in the Septuagint) was constructed by diverting water
off the Euphrates along an old river channel to provide life giving
water. In the words of the author: "for the LORD God had not caused it
to rain upon the earth [land], and there was not a man [Adam] to till
the ground. But there went up a mist [fountain] from the earth [land],
and watered the whole face of the ground."

There are two maps and a picture of the altar I believe to be Adam's on
my web page.

Dick Fischer. author, lecturer
Historical Genesis from Adam to Abraham
www.historicalgenesis.com