Re: [asa] A few literal problems in Genesis

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>
Date: Sun Mar 30 2008 - 23:45:31 EDT

Dick,
What are you trying to say about Genesis 2:5? Are you claiming that in
the area where God placed Adam there was no rain because it was
essentially desert before the garden was planted? Does this include the
claim that God provided water only when Adam and the garden came into
being? How restricted was the area in question? An underlying set of
questions requires one to specify what the first chapters of Genesis
intend. Is is science and history, in the contemporary sense? an
apologetic to counter polytheism? both? other?

I can understand your insistence that Adam was the first to teach
morality and faith to long existing human beings. However, I cannot
understand how any part of the message got to the peoples who populated
the Americas, now dated at 15,000 and 13,000 B.C. Then there is the
further problem with the places Glenn has cited as giving evidence for
religion long before the time you claim Adam lived.

I recognize that the passages can be pressed into your pattern, but I
have no end of difficulties fitting the whole into the broader situation.
Dave (ASA)

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 21:30:51 -0400 "Dick Fischer"