[asa] Design gets dirty

From: Michael Roberts <michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Sun Mar 30 2008 - 16:09:23 EDT

This is on Panda's thumb.
Wot think ye?

Michael
Expelled Exposed (link) : The Untold Sequel

Do you think Expelled will discuss the story of Nancey Murphy as told at the Washington Post?

  Nancey Murphy, a religious scholar at Fuller Theological Seminary in Pasadena, Calif., said she faced a campaign to get her fired because she expressed the view that intelligent design was not only poor theology, but "so stupid, I don't want to give them my time."

  Murphy, who believes in evolution, said she had to fight to keep her job after one of the founding members of the intelligent design movement, legal theorist Phillip Johnson, called a trustee at the seminary and tried to get her fired.

  "His tactic has always been to fight dirty when anyone attacks his ideas," she said. "For a long time afterward, I would tell reporters I don't want to comment, and I don't want you to say I don't want to comment. I'm tired of being careful."

  Johnson denied he had tried to get Murphy fired. He said that he had spoken with a former trustee of the seminary who was himself upset with Murphy but that he was not responsible for any action taken against her. "It's the Darwinists who hold the power in academia and who threaten the professional status and livelihoods of anyone who disagrees," Johnson said. "They feel to teach anything but their orthodoxy is an act of professional treason."

What could have been Murphy's 'crime'? She published a scathing review of Johnson's "Darwin on Trial" titled Phillip Johnson on Trial: A Critique of His Critique of Darwin in Perspectives on Science & Christian Faith, 1993, vol 45, no 1 pp 26-36.

  Nancey Murphy Wrote:
  Phillip Johnson's recent book, Darwin on Trial, claims to show that the reasoning presented in favor of evolutionary biology is defective. Such a book, being one of so many, would excite little attention were it not for the fact that the author is an expert in legal reasoning, and has contributed his particular skills to the debate. However, the canons of scientific argument are quite different from those of the courtroom, and it can be shown that Johnson's critique of Darwinian thought falls far short of the mark in that it does not fully appreciate the special requirements of scientific argumentation.