RE: [asa](Denis' comment) Re: Peter Enns and the future direction of WTS

From: Dehler, Bernie <bernie.dehler@intel.com>
Date: Sun Mar 30 2008 - 01:12:15 EDT

Hi Denis- I'd appreciate a short answer to this if you could.

 You said:
"My heart jumped when I saw the message below because

I am just finishing a book with a very similar hermeneutic

as that of Peter Enns, which I call an "Incarnational approach

to inerrancy and infallibility." But I push the argument a little

further than Enns in that I explicitly reject the historicity of Adam."

The Bible makes it look like Adam was a real person, by giving his name,
age, years of life, offspring, etc. How do you answer people when they
say you don't believe the Bible, because the Bible is clear in
portraying Adam as a real person by way of listing all these details?
Also, if you don't believe Adam was a real person, could the same thing
be said, for the same reasons, about Abraham, Noah, and Moses? This is
very perplexing for me, and would greatly appreciate your insight. (I
know, wait for your book, right? ;-)

....Bernie

________________________________

Steve, thanks very much for this post. I will forward it to all

my Sci-Rel students.

This is a sad day for the Church.

My heart jumped when I saw the message below because

I am just finishing a book with a very similar hermeneutic

as that of Peter Enns, which I call an "Incarnational approach

to inerrancy and infallibility." But I push the argument a little

further than Enns in that I explicitly reject the historicity of Adam.

I praise the Lord for leading me to a Roman Catholic college in

a major university. As an evangelical theologian, I would never

have been given the intellectual freedom to think outside the box

if I had gone to a place like WTS. Actually, my denomination

college wouldn't touch me when I got out of school in 97. Seems that

loving Jesus just ain't enough. If one has a PhD in evolutionary
biology,

it condemns them to being hermeneutically "unclean" and out of

employment, despite being called by the Lord to be a Teacher.

24 years ago I felt called to open God's Two Books. Any yes, like many,

I started the voyage as a young earth creationist. But along the way

there were a few surprises--Gen 1-11 is not a historical record, and

biological evolution is a FACT. But through the process the Lord Jesus

was right there, front and centre. Sadly, I had to leave my tradition

find a job.

Now, I can certainly appreciate what the Board of WTS is doing.

Board members are wonderfully committed Christians who share

their terrific professional skills in shaping the direction of a
Seminary.

However, they are not skilled to determine the academic competency

or theological orthodoxy of someone like Dr Enns. Too many times,

the Board (and the Constituency) usurps the Holy Spirit inspired office

of the Teacher (1 Cor 12). This has to change. Our calling as Teachers

is to instruct the Board on theology, not for the Board to tell us how

do theology. Teachers cannot simply be "parrots" of the Board.

Blessings,

Denis

Denis O. Lamoureux DDS PhD PhD
Assistant Professor of Science & Religion
St. Joseph's College, University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta Canada T6G 2J5
Tel: 780 492 7681 ext.246
Fax: 780 492 8145
E-mail: dlamoure@ualberta.ca <mailto:dlamoure@ualberta.ca>