Re: [asa] Re: Peter Enns and the future direction of WTS

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>
Date: Sat Mar 29 2008 - 17:14:38 EDT

I agree that Enns is on the right track. This is the consequence of
decades of being forced step by grudging step from my original position.
But I recognize a couple of questions that need to be answered honestly.
Are denominations and other groups allowed to set standards for
membership, and especially for leadership positions, even if mistaken?
Are they to be required to maintain an individual's position when that
person's viewpoint has changed? The first must be answered affirmatively;
the second, negatively. Failure to set and maintain standards has
repeatedly led to schism, and seems to be leading to further breaks.

I believe that denominations must have narrower requirements for
membership than organizations like ASA. But ASA does have requirements,
though it allows participation of nonmembers. Some of us are convinced
that some others are wrong, a view reciprocated. Where we face
contradictions and contraries, some of us have to be wrong. But "Why
don't you agree with me, because I'm right?" does not prove anything
relevant. It is a popular, though tacit, approach.

Having noted these matters, I suggest that the trustees should
demonstrate the truth of Leviticus 11:5f; Deuteronomy 14:7.
Dave (ASA)

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 13:54:37 -0400 "David Opderbeck"