Re: [asa] Re: Peter Enns and the future direction of WTS

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Sat Mar 29 2008 - 13:54:37 EDT

I appreciate everything you've said here, Denis. My heart breaks over this
also, particularly for Pete Enns personally. And I agree that we (the
Church, and we evangelicals), need to have more open and honest
conversations about our doctrine of scripture and our hermeneutics.
Personally, I found Pete's book extremely helpful in this regard. To the
extent the WTS situation merely reflects disagreement over what Pete said in
his book, that has to be deeply distressing to all of us who want to see
this conversation continue in healthy ways.

But let me note two things. First is that it's extremely difficult to judge
something like this from the outside. WTS has to define its own
institutional identity. A friend of mine at WTS tells me the situation was
terribly complex and difficult because of these issues of institutional
identity and the various constituencies involved. This isn't specifically
to defend WTS' decision (seeing it from the outside, it seems awfully
difficult to defend); it's just to note my own conflicted feelings as one
who isn't institutionally connected to WTS on the "inside."

Second is that we shouldn't despair. The conversation is happening in many
circles. I mentioned a week or so ago Kenton Sparks' book "God's Word in
Human Words." There is also John Goldingay's "Models for
Scripture," Telford Work's "Living and Active," and acticles such as Daniel
Harlow's in the 2008 Christian Scholar's Review. Roger Olson's book
"Reformed and Always Reforming" describes a hopeful "progressive
evangelicalism" in which the old categories are a little more flexible.
Many of our evangelical liberal arts colleges (e.g., Messiah, Gordon,
Westmont), some evangelical seminaries (e.g., Fuller, Regent, North Park),
and some influential publications (Books & Culture) and blogs (e.g., Jesus
Creed) are venues in which these issues can be discussed with greater
degrees of freedom.

There also are movements in hermeneutics that suggest a growing middle way
between isolationist evangelical traditions and ungrounded liberalism,
represented in people such as Anthony Thistleton ("New Horizons in
Hermeneutics"), the New Horizons and Brazos Theological commentary series,
Joel Green ("Seized by Truth"; Green, BTW, is a Fuller prof. who was on the
ed. board of Science & Christian Belief), and I. Howard Marshall ("Beyond
the Bible)". (I confess that these books by Thistleton, Green and Marshall
are still on my "to read" pile but I have a sense of where they're going).

Of course, not all of the foregoing will agree completely with every concern
someone might have with regard to faith and science; they won't even all
agree with each other. And of course, significant portions of the
evangelical academy, and even bigger portions at the popular level, resist
strongly any effort to reform these categories. But there are many
resources available for those of us who hope to participate in an
intellectually honest and spiritually robust evangelical tradition.

David W. Opderbeck
Associate Professor of Law
Seton Hall University Law School