[asa] Peter Enns and the future direction of WTS

From: Steve Martin <steven.dale.martin@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Mar 25 2008 - 13:39:02 EDT

As many are probably aware, Peter Enns' <http://peterennsonline.com/>
book Inspiration
and Incarnation<http://books.google.com/books?id=N1LhAAAACAAJ&dq=inspiration+and+incarnation&ei=ITfpR7GXIIHKtAP2i9DUBA>has
caused quite the heated dialogue in the reformed community over the
last
couple of years. I personally found I&I to be extremely helpful, and the
more I read of & about Enns', the more respect I have for him.

Now things might be coming to a head for Enns at WTS <http://www.wts.edu/>.
I've been following the story on the net the last few weeks but, being the
net, I didn't want to jump to any conclusions or really say anything (I
certainly can't add much personally). It appears that today there will be
an important board meeting where the "Enns issue" will be on the agenda.
Again, it is unclear to me what exactly is being discussed and what the
possible outcome will be, but I'm sure this is a very difficult time for
Enns, his family, WTS faculty and students, and all the extended WTS
community.

For some brief background on the situation, check out
http://sibboleth.blogspot.com/2008/03/tale-of-two-westminsters.html
and the two links to articles on competing visions for WTS the one from
former WTS Prof Davis is VERY long but definitely worth the read. For
some interesting links on current & former students that are supporting Enns
see: http://saveourseminary.com/,
http://greenfieldsbeyond.blogspot.com/2008/03/update-on-situation-at-wts.html,
and
http://greenfieldsbeyond.blogspot.com/2008/03/upcoming-student-led-demonstration-at.html.

I'd be interested in comments / reactions from those in the reformed
tradition (particularly Presbyterians) who are aware of the situation and/or
the historical context of WTS & past church divisions back to the 20's.
I'd also be interested in hearing from those that lived through similar
controversies (Kline / Van Til etc.).

--
Steve Martin (CSCA)
http://evanevodialogue.blogspot.com