RE: [asa] Expelled. Have you heard of this?

From: Gregory Arago <gregoryarago@yahoo.ca>
Date: Sun Mar 23 2008 - 23:52:34 EDT

Thank you John, it seems we are taking steps toward each other. First, Ben Stein is an original, as are we all. You try to package him, label him in this one role, but it is unfair. We all come to the throne of decision on our own, as human persons. Please don't take the red carpet path of thinking that human beings are all alike, as in a Hollowood Film, 'I, Robot.' As a sociologist, I don't like this 'others like him' paintbrush, when it could be equally and as easily applied to you. What you think is 'switching' the meaning of evolution is entirely relevant on its on, on its side of the switch, which you and most at ASA tend to ignore.

  Second, no, I am not referring to a 'Dawkinsian flavour embedded in an atheistic qualifier' for evolution. The problem comes long before R.D., the most well-known British thinker alive today (nod to R. Baskhar, M. Midgley & A. Giddens). The 'two sides' are speaking past each other in your neighbourhood, not in mine. On this topic, things are more sophisticated outside than inside the USA. In my neighbourhood, Dawkins' atheistic evolution is 'put in it's place' by speaking scientitifically, whereas in yours he is put in his place by speaking theologically (letting you claim A. McGrath in the process). There is a BIG difference here, moreso because R.D. is in America right now and also because Pope Benedict XVI is soon 'coming to America.' The universalism of evolutionary worldview is deservedly under threat.

  TE/EC seems to have no vision to stomp out Dawkinsian/Darwnism. IDism makes a start, but it fails in important ways. An alternative to ID is preferable, but it would sting the TE/EC position so deeply that they would have to give up the notion (and others like it) that Jesus 'evolved' onto the Cross! This would be something extremely hard for them to do. They are probably too 'hidden' and interpretively late-moderns to accept it. I was frankly stunned by a late-modern Christian speech here in St. Petersburg yesterday. The nuance of anti-ID TEism is likewise far from satisfactory.

  Gregory

John Walley <john_walley@yahoo.com> wrote:
      Gregory,

  I agree it is a valid observation that evolution is pressed by some too far as well and that is in part the cause of the backlash of Ben Stein and others like him. However this observation switches the meaning of the term evolution. I obviously used it in the sense of being prefaced with the theistic qualifier rendering it to be just a specific mechanism of creation in which their would be no conflict with the social sciences, but the evolution you are referring to is of the Dawkinsian flavor embedded with the implicit atheistic qualifier and therein lies the problem. The two sides are talking past each other with these faulty battle lines being drawn with no voices of reason calling out from this middle ground.

  Thanks

  John