Re: [asa] warfare mentality in the far east?

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Mar 20 2008 - 09:39:12 EDT

I'm glad you posted that Merv. I followed up with some recommendations from
Alister McGrath. Books like his "Foundations for Dialogue in Science and
Religion" are good because they adress some of the foundational things
people in the warfare camps often miss.

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 10:27 AM, Merv <mrb22667@kansas.net> wrote:

> I posted this on the Jesus Creed site, but wanted to see if anyone here
> had insights as well. (Also -- I need to broaden the number of authors
> I have off the top of my head to recommend in such situations. I'm sure
> a long list could have been given.) The post I responded to is pasted
> below my response.
> --Merv
>
> Mr. Duomai (#71) It's a bit alarming, though I guess not surprising, to
> think that the warfare camps may have a wider dissemination of their
> literature internationally than those with differing approaches. Do
> your libraries have any of Polkinghorne's or Ken Miller's work? Or
> books like Keith Miller's "Perspectives on an Evolving Creation"? Those
> would provide different perspectives.
>
> I know that YECs have often pointed out that officially atheist nations
> like the former U.S.S.R. or China utilize evolution as a foundational
> "doctrine" for their "atheology". Given that national approach in those
> countries, perhaps we've not yet seen anything like the entrenched
> warfare mentality that might be inextricably bound up with emerging
> Christianity there. Anybody know if this is how it is playing out there?
>
> I'm also curious about the Hindi take on origins in India since I know
> nothing about Hinduism.
>
> --Merv
> > Author: Duomai
> > Comment:
> > @ 61,
> >
> > I work as a staff of IFES India (sister org of Inter Varsity). I studied
> Science in schools then shifted to humanities. Every week I find students
> ask me questions on this subject. And though I am not expert in science I
> have spent over hundred of hours trying to understand the issue because of
> the need. We have literatures by Dawkins, Dennet et al in the library. And
> our Christian bookshops has literatures by YEC. And since this 'battle' has
> gone far far beyond America I think it's important for trained scientist and
> trained theologians to speak on the issue.
> >
> > See all comments on this post here:
> > http://www.jesuscreed.org/?p=3556#comments

David W. Opderbeck
Associate Professor of Law