[asa] Multi-worlds, parallel histories, and theology

From: Christine Smith <christine_mb_smith@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu Mar 20 2008 - 09:36:20 EDT

Hi all,

I was pondering the multi-worlds hypothesis last
night, and came across a question that I don't think
has yet been specifically addressed on the listserv
yet?

As I understand it, the multi-worlds hypothesis states
that there is just one universe (with one set of
physical laws), but that within this universe, every
possible outcome at a quantum level (and by extension,
the macroscale level) occurs. Assuming my
understanding is correct, would this imply that in
other "worlds", Biblical events such as the Babylonian
exile, the crucifixition and resurrection of Christ,
the conversion of Paul, etc. would not happen?
Likewise, would that imply that of the multiple copies
of "me" in other worlds, some would be Christian and
some would not? What would this then imply about the
nature of heaven and hell, and of God's plan of
salvation? Indeed, would there be some worlds where
"the fall" never happened?

In short, although multi-worlds could be broadly
consistent with Christianity (or perhaps Theism is the
better term here) in the sense that it does not
contradict the doctrine of God as a sovereign Creator
of a rational universe, how would/could it be
consistent with other Christian doctrines, if at all?

In Christ,
Christine (ASA member)