Re: [asa] Contingency and Quantum Indeterminacy

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Thu Mar 20 2008 - 08:53:36 EDT

The probabilistic character of QM doesn't mean that QM has no laws. & "nomological contingency" means that God could have created universes with different laws. E.g., God could have created a rational universe of point particles moving around in a Euclidean space with an absolute time in accord with Newton's laws. (Let c, G & h --> 0.) Of course life (probably) wouldn't be possible in such a universe but that's another matter.

If the atheist prefers, he/she can state this without reference to "God." I.e., simply say "another such univverse could exist." Of course the atheist may have to say that such universes "just happen" or, like Bertrand Russell, say that we just start with the universe as it is & refuse to ask the further "Why?" question.

Questions about causality are important but I think distinct from the issue of nomological contingency.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/