RE: [asa] Contingency and Quantum Indeterminacy

From: Alexanian, Moorad <alexanian@uncw.edu>
Date: Wed Mar 19 2008 - 15:42:06 EDT

Whether the sun moves and the earth is as at rest, or the other way around, is a question of frames of references. Is the notion of "chance event" dependent on the "observer?" That is to say, what appears to us as chance, since we lack a purely deterministic explanation of it, is it also chance to God? Note that determinism can only apply to the physical aspect of Nature and not to beings that possess free will. Quantum mechanics is a based on deterministic dynamical equations. It is only in the process of measurement that one introduces a probabilistic interpretation. May God make "measurements" without disturbing the system that is being measured?

Moorad