Re: [asa] Contingency and Quantum Indeterminacy

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>
Date: Wed Mar 19 2008 - 14:56:00 EDT

I think there is another approach to this, self-determination. I often
find philosophers claiming that this requires an absence of causation,
indeterminism. However, a proper analysis places it firmly in
determinism, but not the strict determinism that classic physics expects
in natural objects. That has no freedom. Self-determination requires that
the person is an initiating cause within a causal nexus. That is, one's
personal choice makes a difference within the allowance of causes. There
is no responsibility in either strict determinism, where one cannot do
differently, or in indeterminism, where things just happen without one's
control. This also requires that either hidden control of quanta or
quantum indeterminacy cannot be the basis of contingency.
Dave (ASA)

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 14:01:03 -0400 "David Opderbeck"