Re: [asa] Contingency and Quantum Indeterminacy

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Mar 19 2008 - 14:01:03 EDT

Ok -- so someone says "the universe is not necessarily connected to God." I
respond, maybe or maybe not usefully, "the universe is necessarily connected
to God in the sense that the universe is contingent on God's will" --
wanting to reflect this Torrancian (if that's a term) notion of
"contingency." The other person responds with quantum physics -- nothing in
the universe is "necessary," says he; things "just happen" rather than being
caused to happen; and my thought reflects a discredited Thomistic,
mechanistic view of causation.

So I want to respond: quantum physics is perfectly compatible with
contingency as I've used the term -- in fact it demonstrates that God didn't
have to create *this* universe and that the universe isn't a Newtonian
self-sustaining machine. Further, quantum physics doesn't do away with the
*notion* of "causation"; it just means causation appears to be probabilistic
rather than deterministic. Would this response be fair?