[asa] Evangelicals, Evolution and Academics: An invitation to Post

From: Steve Martin <steven.dale.martin@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Mar 19 2008 - 12:43:14 EDT

Most Evangelicals strongly believe that evolution is incompatible with their
Christian faith. The conflict thesis is deeply ingrained in both our
cultural & theological thinking. However, in general, it is not until high
school or college that Evangelicals personally encounter this conflict.
Here the conflict thesis is either reevaluated (relatively rarely), or the
conflict thesis is affirmed (ie. one makes a choice between faith and
evolution).

I am planning on doing a series on "Evangelicals, Evolution, and Academics"
on my blog An Evangelical Dialogue on
Evolution<http://evanevodialogue.blogspot.com/>and am looking for
volunteer contributors. Frankly, my own personal
experience in this area is pretty much non-existent. I studied Mathematics
and Computer Science and, as much as possible, avoided biology and
anthropology, even in high school. There was no way I was going to face
the evolution demon. But then along came my son who, from the time he was
8, wanted to be an ornithologist. Big problem. Very big problem. But I
digress.

For this series I'd like to invite several guests to post on the theme of
"Evangelicals, Evolution, and Academics". Some possible topics could
include:

*Teaching biology, anthropology, geology or some other discipline in a
Christian Academic institution (high school or college).*

   - Reflections on your interaction with students, parents, and other
   faculty who supported (maybe strongly) the conflict thesis.
   - How you reconcile your institution's statement of faith with your
   own conflicting personal beliefs wrt evolution.
   - Thoughts on balancing integrity in science with the need to satisfy
   key institution constituents (eg. donors, official church connections) who
   oppose evolution
   - Instances where you have sees students' faith strengthened through
   their grappling with implications of science

*Teaching similar disciplines in a public setting: *

   - Reflections on your interactions with students and other faculty who
   support the conflict thesis. Possibly many of them have difficulty
   reconciling the fact that someone could teach biology/anthropology etc. and
   still be a Christian.
   - Do you believe that faculty and student perceptions regarding the
   conflict have changed over the last 10, 20 years?

*Facing the conflict thesis as a Student*

   - Reflections on when you personally faced the conflict thesis. How
   did it affect your faith? What Christian leaders / teachers were
   influential in your own reevaluation? What aspects of their method / style
   did you find most helpful in your own reevaluation?
   - Maybe you came to faith in Christ through IV, Campus Crusade or
   other Christian ministry and had to deal with the shock of being told you
   needed to change your scientific beliefs as well. How did your respond?
   How did it affect your newfound faith?

*Homeschooling Parents utilizing Christian resources*

   - How do you deal with the frustration of finding good science
   materials (ie. Not AIG promoted stuff)

These are all just some ideas to start with I am pretty open to anything
that loosely fits the theme. What I'm looking for is the following:

1. Guest posters who accept the scientific consensus of biological
evolution, at least E1-E3 and preferably E4 from Allan Harvey's definitions
at: http://members.aol.com/steamdoc/sci-nature/Chapter5.pdf

2.Guest posters who self-identify as "Evangelical" and are comfortable with
the six criteria that John Stackhouse uses for Evangelicals (orthodox &
orthoprax, crucicentric, biblicist, conversionist, missional, and
transdenominational). (See my post
here<http://evanevodialogue.blogspot.com/2007/11/what-is-evangelical-am-i-one-why-do-i.html>which
provides some details & qualifications on these criteria and explains
why I still wish to keep the moniker Evangelical even though I'm very
uncomfortable with much of the modern day Evangelical movement).

3. A guest post that is preferably less than a 1000 words (shorter, even a
couple hundred words is often better but I know I fail to hit my
self-imposed limit all-too-often so it is not a hard rule).

4. Willingness to answer comments from my readers.

If you are interested in participating in this series, please send me an
email OFFLIST with a brief paragraph describing what you would like to write
about and/or any questions you might have. Also please indicate if you are
a member of ASA / CSCA / CIS. I'm not going to limit this to members but I
would be interested in knowing.

Notes:

a) You are free to your promote your own blog, book or other writings in
your post. If you wish to retain some copyright on your post, that's fine
(I'm not sure how to do that - open to suggestions). You will be allowed
to keep 100% of the revenue generated from your post, but given that I do no
advertising, have no plans to, have no revenue resulting either directly or
indirectly from this blog, I wouldn't count on much (I'm a Mathie & can help
you with the calculations if you like :-) ).

b) I may have no access to the net for 4 days over the long weekend. So it
might take awhile but rest assured I will respond to your queries.

Thanks,

--
Steve Martin (CSCA)
http://evanevodialogue.blogspot.com