[asa] Contingency and Quantum Indeterminacy

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Mar 19 2008 - 11:23:40 EDT

In the ASA statement of faith, we use the term "contingent order."
Contingency is important in Torrance's thought as well as Polanyi's.
Contingency is also part of Aquinas' teleological argument. Does the notion
of contingency as we use it require a creation ex nihlo, a big bang? How
does contingency relate to quantum indeterminacy, since states are only
represented by probability distributions? Are quantum probability
distributions completely open, or are they bounded by more basic physical
laws?

--
David W. Opderbeck
Associate Professor of Law