Re: [asa] Evolution, theodicy & trinity

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Mar 18 2008 - 22:11:59 EDT

So tonight my boys (7 and 9 years old) and I watched the movie "The Game
Plan." It's a lighthearted kid movie, but at the end a little girl almost
dies because of a peanut allergy. All turns out well and it isn't ever
really scary. But at bedtime, my 9 year old asks me, "why are people
allergic to nuts." I try to explain allergies as an over-reaction of the
body's natural defenses against things that can hurt us. My son asks, "why
did God make us so that our systems would over-react? Why couldn't he make
them work right if he can do anything he wants?"

Wow. I try to explain -- I'm not sure; I wonder, if people hadn't sinned
from the very beginning, if things might somehow be different; but we also
have to remember that our lives are much more than this life; life can be
hard but Jesus came into the world and died for us so that we can always be
with him; someday, the things that seem hard to us right now will seem
small, like if you were sick with the flu a few weeks ago and today you can
hardly remember what that felt like; but some things like this we can't
really totally explain. He ponders. It gets filed away in his bright
little mind. I hope what I said helps him some day.

And then he changes topics... "what happens to babies when they die?"
Sheesh.