Re: [asa] Evolution, theodicy & trinity

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Tue Mar 18 2008 - 16:30:20 EDT

I don't think it's accurate to say that Ted's theology is driven by evolution. Its sources are theological - going back to (& through) Moltmann's "theology of hope" & Pannenberg's idea of "revelation as history" in the 60s. In fact Michael Welker begins his foreword to Ted's recent book Anticipating Omega by pointing out those connections. I added the parenthetic "& through" above because the basic concepts are biblical. Already in the 1st Genesis creation story you have the hint of a history that is directed toward a goal that is represented by the Sabbath, as Jews have often seen more clearly than Christians. The fact that biological evolution fits into this picture (N.B., especially for Gregory, not the other way around) is then of course very significant.

BTW, my review of Anticipating Omega will probably be in the next issue of PSCF.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/