Re: [asa] Advice for a Pastor

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Tue Mar 18 2008 - 16:07:49 EDT

1) I was more concerned with the would-be teacher than with the pastor in this situation.

2) Yes, there is the civil use of the law in addition to the theological. (I don't think there's a distinctively 3d Christian use, a long-standing Lutheran-Reformed difference.) What's questionable about the "Jesus Creed" though is that it consists of nothing but law. There's no gospel there. & if that's a person's "creed" then it will ultimately function theologically to accuse. If you take seriously the command to love God with all your heart & mind & strength then you'll realize that you just can't do it. & there's nothing else in your creed to look to.

Besides, there's nothing uniquely "Jesus" in that creed. You could just as well call it the creed of Moses or Jeremiah.

& whether McKnight intends it or not, with his creed he has succumbed to a classic error of liberal protestantism, presenting Jesus primarily as a teacher.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/