RE: [asa] Infant Baptism and Original Sin

From: Jon Tandy <tandyland@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue Mar 18 2008 - 10:46:12 EDT

Gregory,

Since evolution is a touchy word for you, I'll try to substitute development
instead.

Don't assume you know what I feel or believe about this. It is only
recently (and I will say unwillingly) that I have been led to consider the
strength of the evidences for biological "development" over time. It is
certainly not my preference, and I would love to see the evidence overturn
the standard scientific model in favor of a more traditional Biblical
creation view. But in intellectual honesty, I have to say at the very least
that if I or any other creationist (in the broadest sense) wants to
criticize biological development, we have a lot of explaining to do. Either
1) the evidence is all phony, or 2) the Creator chose to create ex nilhlio a
vast and diverse sequence of creatures that have all the appearance of a
branching phylogenic tree, or 3) some other explanation (as there are other
proposals which I don't need to rehash here).

So much for the natural sciences. I thought you were writing as a
sociologist about sociological things. I was trying to engage you on this
subject on your own terms, in admittedly a very faltering and imperfect
understanding of such disciplines. You say baptism (as opposed to the
concept or practice of baptism) doesn't evolve. You're right. My baptism,
an event almost 30 years ago, didn't evolve. It just happened based on my
free choice. Don't make the mistake of assuming I'm saying "everything
[except God] evolves". My dad's 1969 Ford Mustang didn't evolve. Rather,
it got fixed up, then it gradually degraded over time until he had an
accident and totalled it. It is a logical fallacy to point out things that
obviously don't evolve as an argument against evolution in general.

Are you saying that sociological phenomena don't evolve (er, excuse me,
"develop")? If so, what is the basis for saying this? The activity of
human free will? I already acknowledged that the nature of "development" in
sociology is very likely to be different from the nature of "development" in
biology. It seems that you are using definitions based on your particular
chosen criteria -- if it has to do with human choice, it is development. If
it is "naturalistic" (imposed on us by biology, without any intentionality
on our part), then it could _potentially_ be evolutionary. This seems to be
the distinction you are making, but correct me if I'm wrong.

I think I've answered your question. Baptism (as a discrete act of
someone's free will) doesn't evolve. How about my question? Are you saying
that baptism as a sociological phenomenon doesn't evolve over time? If so,
do you say this because individuals make rational choices to modify certain
religious practices over time? Does the action of human choice mean we
should label it "development" instead of "evolution"?

How about languages? The history of language development has all the
characteristics of a branching phylygenic tree. Spanish is more closely
related to Portugese (historically, structurally, geographically,
sociologically) than it is to German, but they both have roots in the
Indo-European family of languages. Would you say that language systems
don't evolve over time? If so, should we call it "development" because
humans have free will to add words or merge dialects? I would say that
looking at it as a complete unit, the branching tree of languages over time
has a similar appearance to the biological tree of life, in that (on the
whole) the system changes with response to environmental conditions (Innuit
have many words for snow), changing landscape (foreign invasions and
immigration brought languages into contact with each other), adaptation
(dialects just naturally change over time), etc. It doesn't appear that a
"higher intelligence" (in the form of a global language committee, or God
himself) is proactively acting over the whole process, intentionally causing
the development of all language systems to either develop into multiple
branching paths or toward a single end goal. Change in language happens as
an organic process from within the system. Regardless of the individual
choices at the ground level, the overall system of languge development could
well be described in terms of "natural" evolution as a characteristic of the
system, regardless of what other philosophical baggage might be carried by
that term. As opposed to intelligent design, which would imply an
intelligence that is intentionally directing the system toward some goal.

I think an instructive analogy to this could be seen in biology, at least in
part. An individual species could make a choice to migrate away from a cold
environment due to an encroaching ice age, which will put it in contact new
biological environments, potentially enhancing its ability to pass on genes
to further generations, and ultimately contributing to the ongoing
biological adaptation of the species. At least that's what the standard
biological model would tell us. The individual "choice" of a group of
migrating birds or horses (like the individual choices of individuals adding
words to a language) doesn't mean the overall process can't be described by
the term evolution. Or call it development, if you like. As I said in my
that it's purely natural, or that God is uninvolved or nonexistent.

Anyway, I've tried at various times to understand and respond
sympathetically to your concern, which seems to be that the influence of
atheism in the social sciences needs to be checked by a stronger Christian
response. I think you are right to expect this in general, and from the ASA
in particular. Hopefully there are those in the ranks of the ASA who can
respond to this need. I do think it is a little biased to call natural
scientific methods "simple" and human-social methods "difficult". However,
I'll certainly acknowledge that is true in my case, as one who hasn't been
trained extensively in the social sciences.

I thought my response to you was a positive message. If you didn't see it
that way, I apologize. I tried to suggest some creative ways that various
models from the natural sciences could be applied to combat atheistic
evolutionary views in the social sciences. Maybe you can take those
suggestions and improve them to better suit the need that exists. I also
suggested that you might be able to come up with positive suggestions or
models which apply exclusively to the social sciences, or those which could
be shared in turn for the benefit of the Christian worldview in the natural
sciences. Why wait for the ASA to point to a scholar who can do this?
Maybe you can contribute to the task yourself.

Jon Tandy
ASA Member (just joined, as of this week)