Re: [asa] Evolution, theodicy & trinity

From: Don Winterstein <dfwinterstein@msn.com>
Date: Tue Mar 18 2008 - 11:22:55 EDT

All of science suggests that things behave as they do because of their properties, the characteristics built into them. Science is done on the assumption that behaviors can be understood in terms of things interacting with other things in accord with their built-in properties. This fact further suggests that God has made things so that--at least most of the time--they behave independently of his immediate control. It is this independence of created things that leads to all human and other suffering.

This should be a satisfactory theodicy for all scientists, provided they can come up with a compelling motive for why God should have granted his creatures this degree of independence. I have enunciated such a motive, compelling to me and consistent with Scripture, several times; but apparently it is so unconventional that it leaves everyone choking!

I used to think scientists were more open to unconventional ideas than this.

Without such theodicy we're left resorting to comments like, "Christ suffered as much as or more than anyone." As Jim says, while this may make us feel better, it doesn't explain anything.

Don