Re: [asa] Evolution, theodicy & trinity

From: Ted Davis <TDavis@messiah.edu>
Date: Tue Mar 18 2008 - 09:24:29 EDT

Merv has a great question about Russell's view of salvation:

Does this include, then, something like universalism (all will be
saved)? I've heard verses like those "Every knee will bow..." used to
defend that, but it still seems like such a view requires too selective
a view of Scriptures to be easily brought within the pale of orthodoxy.
(as much as I'd like to believe it myself... there is always that
little matter of truth...and whichever way it actually is, I wish to
follow.)

***

Ted responds:
I don't know, Merv, I don't know. This is not specifically addressed as
far as I can tell in this book. Russell has been influenced by John Hick's
view that natural and moral evil can be answered only within an
eschatological framework--and I think I agree with that view. For Hick,
however, there is universal salvation, and I do not agree with that view.
It is not clear whether Russell does.

My own thinking about eschatology has also been influenced by NT Wright,
who argues (The Resurrection of the Son of God) that our own
resurrections--our own "raising" into glorified bodies--will not take place
until the eschaton. This, he shows, is what second Temple Jews understood
by "resurrection," and this is also what the New Testament teaches, more or
less (I add this qualifier b/c there just isn't much said about it, and it
isn't entirely consistent with any one view IMO). Russell also admires
Wright's work--I directly asked him about this last week. They both
vigorously defend the bodily resurrection, and they both (like me) construct
their understanding of the faith around it.

Ted