RE: [asa] Want to be on TV? (Now avail. with Dick Fischer and George Murphy)

From: John Walley <john_walley@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Mar 17 2008 - 21:05:01 EDT

Very interesting. I just finished watching the entire hour of it.

First of all thanks to both Dick and George for participating in that and a
special thanks to Bernie for putting it together. I found it immensely
helpful, informative and thought provoking. I have forwarded it to all the
thought leaders of my chapter (many of whom know Dick from him having spoken
to us recently) including two of the professors at Luther Rice which is the
seminary Bernie mentioned and where he just graduated.

I think it is important that the church comes to grips with all the
theological issues of TE as I think that is the sticking point for most
Christians that struggle with TE. Just like my friend Mark Whorton boiled
the YEC argument down to really being a theological objection to death
before the fall, I think the ID and anti-TE argument boils down to a
theological objection to a non-literal interpretation of the Bible
(excluding Dick's flavor of literalism).

Just like Henry Morris was quoted as saying that he could live with an old
earth if he had absolutely had to but it was the death before the fall that
was the deal breaker, I think giving up all the traditional interpretations
of Genesis like an historical Adam being a product of special creation, an
idyllic Eden, a tree, a serpent and a fall, and original sin,etc. is the
theological bridge too far for TE. In fact after our last meeting where I
presented my journey to TE I had one of the seminary professors mentioned
above tell me that I have already rejected all of orthodox Christianity and
predicted that next I would be denying the bodily resurrection of Christ and
that Jesus was the exclusive way to salvation. To him rejecting all the
former doctrines had to be result of deception so it logically follows that
the latter doctrines would be next.

Bernie, I also think it was insightful and objective to take the perspective
of the YEC argument as well just to factor that in I thought your comment
about your personal history and Catholicism to Evangelicalism due to
superior intellectualism and theology and now your doubts about that to be
particularly amusing. I also found your comment about the tragedy of most of
the evangelical church being wrong on such a fundamental issue as the age of
the earth to be a very appropriate observation and in line with my
sentiments as well.

Thanks again to all and I hope we see a lot more of this kind of discussion
and outreach in the future.

John