Re: [asa] Why couldn't you write your d*mn book more clearly?

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Sun Mar 16 2008 - 14:26:31 EDT

MessageDick -

As you know, I don't agree with the way you correlate Mesopotamian history with Gen.1-11. I can, however, appreciate your intent in doing that & can to some extent suspend disbelief & enter into that picture. But I simply think you're overreaching in trying to get any approximation to the Christian concept of the Trinity from Akkadian
(or any other polytheism). & I don't think it adds anything to your basic argument or makes it more plausible.

There is nothing in scripture that suggests that anything about the triune character of God was revealed to Adam, Cain, Enoch, Noah or Abraham or that they know anything about it. Any trinitarian ideas that Christians have seen there (e.g., in Abraham's three visitors in Genesis 18, the traditional Orthodox icon of the Trinity) is a result of reading those texts in the light of the NT. That is in some cases an appropriate or at least acceptable thing for Christians, but it's a very different matter to say that the patriarchs themselves (whether understood as historical persons or literary figures) knew anything about the Trinity. & since that is the case, I find the idea that the Akkadians knew about it not impossible but very far fetched. It would take a lot more than a grouping of three gods - which, as I noted, is far from unique to the Akkadians - to convince me.

This really doesn't have a lot to do with science and religion & I'm quite happy to let it go at that. You may have the last word if you wish.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/