RE: [asa] Why couldn't you write your d*mn book more clearly?

From: gordon brown <Gordon.Brown@Colorado.EDU>
Date: Sat Mar 15 2008 - 22:51:24 EDT

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008, John Walley wrote:

> It appears that the best we can do is to try to appeal to each individual
> denomination if we don't want to let Ken Ham speak for the church at large
> because the media willingly allows him to make a fool out of himself and the
> rest of us as well. Meanwhile I pay money to send my kids to a Christian
> school to have them taught that the earth is 6000 years old and to distrust
> modern science and I feel there is nothing I can do about it and no one to
> appeal to.
>
> And although my original use of the term excommunicate was just hyperbole, I
> do think the church and the world would be better served if there was a
> strong message introduced by some interdenominational alliance to repudiate
> this and serve the YEC leaders notice that they are resisted and they can no
> longer hide behind calling their detractors compromisers or unorthodox
> liberal theologians. That is what largely RTB has done to their credit but
> this really needs to be a broader base of support signed on by all the
> denominations.

One problem is that most pastors were not science majors, and so they are
ill equipped to know whom to trust on matters of science. Is there some
way to get seminaries to teach a course that covers the history of the
relevant science including the evidence that led to the conclusions and
also the history of Biblical interpretation related to these issues? Maybe
some ASAer could write a text for such a course. Many pastors today are
too young to have been exposed to any alternatives to what ICR and AiG put
out.

Gordon Brown (ASA member)