Re: [asa] Why couldn't you write your d*mn book more clearly?

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Sat Mar 15 2008 - 13:55:13 EDT

I don't particularly want to be the official list expert on heresy or RC
canon law but ...

Heresy is false teaching. For an RC theologian to teach that elective
abortions are OK (to take the simplest case) would clearly be considered
heretical in that church. But a woman who gets an abortion, or a politician
who supports the legal right to abortion (even though he/she may be
personally opposed to it) would not necessarily be a heretic. People who
commit what the church considers to be sufficiently serious sins without
repenting can be excommunicated &/or denied the sacrament even though
they're not heretics.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/