Re: [asa] Why couldn't you write your d*mn book more clearly?

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Sat Mar 15 2008 - 11:42:30 EDT

1) The term "heresy" is best reserved for teachers, or those who presume to be teachers, in the church. (Cf. James 3:1) The traditional language of condemnation, "If anyone says XXXX, let him be anathema" is really directed to such teachers rather than those who simply accept what they're told by them - though the distinction will not always be clear cut.

2) There are nuances between straight orthodoxy & outright heresy that, e.g., the RCC uses. The following paragraph from the online Catholic Encyclopedia at http://www.catholic.org/encyclopedia/view.php?id=5695 , while of course stated in terms of that communion's self-understanding, may be helpful.

III. DEGREES OF HERESY
Both matter and form of heresy admit of degrees which find expression in the following technical formula of theology and canon law. Pertinacious adhesion to a doctrine contradictory to a point of faith clearly defined by the Church is heresy pure and simple, heresy in the first degree. But if the doctrine in question has not been expressly "defined" or is not clearly proposed as an article of faith in the ordinary, authorized teaching of the Church, an opinion opposed to it is styled sententia haeresi proxima , that is, an opinion approaching heresy. Next, a doctrinal proposition, without directly contradicting a received dogma, may yet involve logical consequences at variance with revealed truth. Such a proposition is not heretical, it is a propositio theologice erronea , that is, erroneous in theology. Further, the opposition to an article of faith may not be strictly demonstrable, but only reach a certain degree of probability. In that case the doctrine is termed sententia de haeresi suspecta, haeresim sapiens ; that is, an opinion suspected, or savouring, of heresy (see THEOLOGICAL CENSURES).

The phrase "tantamount to heresy" is also used sometimes.

3) But with all that, I agree that we ought to be cautious about tossing around the terms "heresy" or "heretic."

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/