RE: [asa] Why couldn't you write your d*mn book more clearly?

From: gordon brown <Gordon.Brown@Colorado.EDU>
Date: Fri Mar 14 2008 - 22:49:06 EDT

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008, John Walley wrote:

> Bottom line, I feel Protestantism is flawed because there is currently no
> mechanism to excommunicate people like Ellen White, Herbert Armstrong and
> Ken Ham.

Excommunicating Ken Ham strikes me as being rather extreme. Ellen White
and Herbert Armstrong founded their own churches because they disagreed
with traditional Christian doctrine concerning the Bible or the Trinity.
Granted, Ham reinforces a popular false stereotype of Christians and the
Bible, and we ought to try to correct that widespread impression, but it
doesn't seem Biblical to me to want to excommunicate someone because he
believes in pseudoscience unless he also denies some fundamental of the
faith. Although he may wish that we who are not YECs could be
excommunicated, we should strive not to let our differences with YECs
prevent fellowship with them.

Gordon Brown (ASA member)