RE: [asa] Why couldn't you write your d*mn book more clearly?

From: John Walley <john_walley@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Mar 14 2008 - 09:18:13 EDT

David,

I agree with you that the mission of the church ought to be about reaching
and alleviating the suffering of the less fortunate of the world instead of
soaking up our endless blessings and debating how many angels can fit on the
head of a pin, but that is a different argument.

At least for the rich, educated Westerners like you and me who have the
privilege of even thinking about and debating these issues, we have the
responsibility of getting it right, because the mission of the church above
depends on it. There is a direct correlation between what we believe here
and whether some starving kid in Africa gets a meal today or not. Why?
Because it takes the resources of the other rich educated Westerners that
haven't come into the church yet to help us feed that kid in Africa and they
aren't coming in as long as we insist they take stupid lessons in order to
become a Christian.

Bottom line, I feel Protestantism is flawed because there is currently no
mechanism to excommunicate people like Ellen White, Herbert Armstrong and
Ken Ham and we have to let them tarnish the whole church and that actually
becomes counter-productive to the mission of the church. Although we have
seen abuses of a centralized control structure in the church before, I am
not certain that the de-centralized Protestant church is any better off
without one now. Hopefully though this whole new form of science/faith
apologetics is the work of the Holy Spirit and will prove to make the church
relevant again and we can recapture the role of honest and reality-based
intellectual thought leadership we once had in our culture, and then there
will be a consensus and a mechanism to dispatch the Ken Ham's and we can get
on with feeding those kids in Africa in a bigger and better way.

Thanks

John