Re: [asa] Infant Baptism and Original Sin

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Fri Mar 14 2008 - 08:54:31 EDT

Message1) I would suggest that the elimination of infant baptism, and the consequent downplaying of the importance of baptism generally, has contributed significantly to the individualistic varieties of Christianity that are so prevalent especially in American Christianity. That is because it fosters an idea of the church as a kind of club that one chooses to join rather than a community that one is incorporated into. I agree that that is not inevitable - close-knit communities like the Amish have other means of maintaining their significance. But in much of American Evangelicalism that is not the case. If the idea is that one "gets saved" by accepting Jesus and then encouraged to join a church, the result will often be that the person won't join a church or, if she does, won't be very diligent about it. Thus we have a lot of free-lance Christians who "got saved" at some point but are in no practical sense members of the Body of Christ. & that in turn can produce the kind of free-lance "teachers" that I referred to before.

2) It's important to note that this doesn't have to do just with the question of infant baptism but with baptism in general. When baptism becomes primarily a way in which a person makes a confession of his/her faith rather than a way in which God initiates faith in a person & brings that person into the Body of Christ then it's essentially no more important than any other way of confessing the faith. I have counselled people who insisted that they didn't need to be baptized because they'd been "saved" (which I put in parentheses because in some cases it just means "believed in God") or because they said the sinner's prayer or something of the sort.

3) Of course if infant baptism is to be abandoned then the idea not only of original sin but also of a sin of origin has to be abandoned too. (Hence the incoherence of some anti-evvolutionists who claim that human evolution would remove any need for a savior because there was no historical fall - but who reject infant baptism!) Note the important distinction. "Original sin" refers to a sin supposedly due to our first ancestors. "Sin of origin" refers to the sinful condition in which each person begins life - i.e., a condition of alienation from God with its consequences. The notion that there is no such sin of origin reflects an exclusively moralistic (rather than theological) view of sin & shows an extremely superficial view of the human condition.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/