RE: [asa] Infant Baptism and Original Sin

From: John Walley <john_walley@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Mar 14 2008 - 08:23:00 EDT

IMHO, this discussion proves my point. Infant baptism (or not) is indeed an
important doctrinal issue in the church and I understand all the arguments
for and against it and what they imply and what they stand for. But this
shows that there are allowable differences of opinion within the church on
the issue and that it is at least possible to approach a reasonable position
on it that the majority of the church would agree with, thus the value of a
majesterium.

But whatever we choose to believe on infant baptism has little effect on the
world and what they think of us as opposed to YEC and other science-denial
beliefs. On these we have a higher standard to meet other than just the
bonds of peace within the body. We have to make sure we are reflecting
honesty, integrity and reality in our arguments to unbelievers and not
putting a stumbling block in front of them. So even more of a need for a
majesterium.

John