Re: [asa] Why couldn't you write your d*mn book more clearly?

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Mar 13 2008 - 23:57:44 EDT

No, it's not relativism. It's just that the world, the church, the gospel,
are all so much bigger than this one concern. There are nearly 7 billion
people alive in the world right now. About 1 billion lack access to clean
drinking water. About 1.6 billion have no access to electricty. About 3
billion people live on less than two dollars a day, and about 30,000
children die every day because of poverty. Think about this for a minute:
by the end of this week, more children will die because of poverty than the
total number of people who have ever visited the creation museum.

Does that mean the creation museum is ok? Of course not. It makes it even
more of a travesty to spend millions on such a thing. But you are taking a
problem rich, educated Westerners like you and me have because we're so rich
and so educated that we have time to worry about how Genesis relates to
modern science, and you're making it into priority one when billions of
starving, dying people don't give a crap about it.

I want all my questions answered too, I want everyone to agree with me, and
I want my faith to be simple, straightforward, and easy. I want to be able
to beat the stuffing out of my unbelieving friends in apologetic arguments.
I want my son to be perfectly healthy. I feel bad for myself, but it ain't
gonna happen. Meanwhile, I have to pick myself up, stop blaming everyone
else, and ask the Holy Spirit what his priorities are for me. No doubt some
of that involves doing what I humbly can to promote good Christian
scholarship and improve the life of the mind in the evangelical church --
I'd say I feel that's part of my calling so long as I get to serve in
academia. But I have to fight myself not to confuse my place on the pinky
toe of the Body with the whole Body, and I have to fight myself to allow the
Holy Spirit to show me all the varied areas in which the Kingdom of God
needs to break in.