[asa] Re: God's Word in Human Words

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Mar 13 2008 - 21:41:11 EDT

Sometimes I forget that this is a public archived list, and I realize that
in such a context I might want to nuance something I've posted. So I just
want to note that Sparks' book is very challenging because it doesn't mince
words. I'm not sure it's appropriate for someone who's new to these
issues. If you're new to these issues and you'd like an introduction to the
notion of "accommodation," read Peter Enns' "Inspiration and Incarnation."
I'm also pretty sure that I personally don't agree with every approach
Sparks takes to all the arguments about textual criticism, particularly
concerning the New Testament. That said, for those who are reasonably well
grounded, or who are at a point where they really need to explore the
boundaries of conservative views of scripture, I'm pretty confident that
Sparks' book is going to be a focus of discussion and debate for a while.