Re: [asa] Why couldn't you write your d*mn book more clearly?

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Thu Mar 13 2008 - 19:21:14 EDT

MessageMinimal requirements for someone who expects to be listed to by Christians include (a) that that person understand him/herself to be persons of the church, responsible to the Christian community, & (b) that the doctrinal and ethical traditions that the church has developed over the centuries (which of course are not monolithic) be taken seriously - which is not to say, accepted uncritically. Those who claim special revelations should generally be regarded with great scepticism. On those grounds I think White & Anderson (not to mention Joe Smith) fail to pass muster.

Traditional interpretations of scripture, especially when they imply claims about the world which are open to scientific test, are not immune from criticism. It's true that some Lutherans resisted heliocentrism much longer than made sense. In his 1924 Christliche Dogmatik the LC-MS theologian preferred geocentrism as supposedly biblical & (at least in the English translation - I can't find it in the German but don't have the index volume) appealed to relativity for this. But if I'm not mistaken, geocentrism was never the official teaching of the Missouri Synod.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/