Re: [asa] eternal universe in Aquinas' time?

From: Merv <mrb22667@kansas.net>
Date: Wed Mar 12 2008 - 08:16:38 EDT

I had often thought about the difference between a line and a ray, just
as you discuss below; but I had never thought of using it to illuminate
a difference between infinity and eternity. Thanks for the insight.
Here is a further reflection (which doesn't necessarily augment or
elucidate anything in your analogy below but may rank as nothing more
than further fun & mathematical confusion.) Even a line segment, which
has two endpoints, contains an infinite number of points. Its infinity
is inward rather than outward. I.e. one could think of it as a kind of
"logarithmic ray", one that you can infinitely zoom in on, and by
magnifying it infinitely -- pushing its endpoints infinitely far away
from you, you can blur the distinction between it and a line. And by
infinitely zooming out, you make the line segment disappear into a
point. I suppose to a sub-atomic particle, if one could be conscious
to ponder it, something the size of a human body could seem like a
universe.

Thanks for the reflections. I don't know that I'll actually pursue
more math lessons with her (except where her interest lies in the
practical business math --she is a home-schooled student, and there are
other considerations), but she may be more interested in the theological
insights you have all shared. Thanks! I'm a math teacher, myself,
so please don't interpret any of this as a trivializing of the
importance of a math education.

--Merv