RE: [asa] eternal universe in Aquinas' time?

From: Jon Tandy <tandyland@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed Mar 12 2008 - 00:18:54 EDT

I think this would be an excellent time to follow up with the gentle
reminder for her: no, there are other things besides God which are infinite.
John 3:16 and many others say that we who are mortal may attain eternity.
This doesn't mean we are co-eternal with God, any more than 0.33333333 is --
both it and we start at one finite point and go on to infinity; if one is
willing to endure to the end (Matt 10:22). Who would have thought that 1/3
could provide a lesson about eternal life?

My dad (a former math teacher) also talked about the difference between a
ray and a line, as one mathematical analogy of God and believers.
Technically, though both are the same length (infinite), they are different.
One starts in infinity and goes to infinity, the other starts at a finite
point and goes on to infinity (eternity).

Jon Tandy