Re: [asa] eternal universe in Aquinas' time?

From: Merv <mrb22667@kansas.net>
Date: Tue Mar 11 2008 - 22:44:16 EDT

Actually -- we weren't that deep into any pre-calc lesson regarding
anything like infinite geometric sequences. It was more of an aside in
an otherwise elementary lesson of percentage & business math. My
"smile of submission" was not one meaning "you've stumped me and now I
must reconsider" --it was my quick weighing of priorities in the earnest
face of a young woman who (in all seeming seriousness) expressed a
conviction back to me, not as an opening for a debate, but to inform me
that this matter is closed. And I respected her decision. --indeed not
taking the matter too seriously myself. I agree that eternity &
something so mundane as mathematical infinities should not be lightly
confused.

Thanks, Ted, for your insight and many details regarding the 'eternal
earth' topic. That went into my 'special posts' folder for later
reference. It sounded unlikely to me which is why I wanted the scoop
from all of you.

It is heartening to see how discussions are staying more or less civil
in places like the 'Jesus Creed' blog. And judging by the repeated
affirmations of those that land there, civil discussions over all this
must still be a rare find on the web.

--Merv