Re: [asa] eternal universe in Aquinas' time?

From: <mrb22667@kansas.net>
Date: Tue Mar 11 2008 - 19:59:15 EDT

Thanks, George. And now I'm interested in Aquinas' statements below that you
gave. Apparently others have taken statements like these to mean that Aquinas
was hedging his bets to allow for these other creation scenarios. But this
sounds like he is denouncing them as pagan error -- ALL of them. I take it that
he wasn't giving commentary on whether such things as love, strife, or intellect
were agents used in creation so much as he was asserting that none of these is
co-eternal with God. Is that accurate?

--Merv
p.s. said to my niece as I was giving her a math lesson: "...so there are an
infinite amount of threes needed after the decimal point before it can equal 1/3
since it can only approach 1/3. So in a sense .3 repeating forever = 1/3" Her
immediate reply: "No they don't. Because if the threes went on forever, then
you're claiming something besides God is infinite; and only God is eternal."
Never having had theology trump a math lesson before, I smiled in submission and
 thought it best to resume practice with percentages.