Re: [asa] A few literal problems in Genesis

From: David Campbell <pleuronaia@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Mar 11 2008 - 19:23:43 EDT

> Messenger, in his Evolution and Theology (Macmillan, New York, 1932), showed
> that a number of the church fathers understood Genesis to be teaching the
> mediated creation of living things. One does have to be careful about this
> - while the earth "brings forth" plants, the waters "swarm with living
> creatures" so that in the latter case there isn't a clear indication of any
> role of the waters themselves. The Septuagint, however, which the Greek
> fathers were working with, blurs this distinction.

Calvin refers somewhat to mediated creation in discussing the
significance of bara. He claims that bara ultimately refers back to
creation ex nihlo but particular instances of its use are mediated
creation, all elements of which ultimately derive their existence from
creation ex nihlo. The idea of mediated creation was thus still
current then.

--
Dr. David Campbell
425 Scientific Collections