Re: [asa] eternal universe in Aquinas' time?

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Tue Mar 11 2008 - 19:16:41 EDT

Aquinas concludes his discussion of this issue - whether or not the world is
eternal - in the Summa Contra Gentiles as follows:

"The preceding considerations enable us to avoid various errors made by the
pagan philosophers; the assertion of the world's eternity, the assertion of
the eternity of the world's matter, out of which at a certain time the world
began to be formed, either by chance, or by some intellect, or even by love
or by strive. For in all these cases something beside God is claimed to be
eternal; and this is incompatible with the Catholic faith."

Don't believe everything you read in a blog. In fact, don't believe most of
it.

The complete discussion of this is in Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Contra
Gentiles, Book 2: Creation (Notre Dame, 1975), pp.91-115.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/