[asa] eternal universe in Aquinas' time?

From: Merv <mrb22667@kansas.net>
Date: Tue Mar 11 2008 - 19:06:02 EDT

On the 'Jesus Creed' blog that David pointed out, I found this
interesting comment...

"In the day of Thomas Aquinas, Genesis was read as pure metaphor, simply
because philosophers agreed with theologians that the universe was more
or less eternal. ‘Creation’ then, referred to an ontological dependence
of Creation on its Creator."
----someone named Daniel

Is this really true? Did theologians from a millennium ago really think
the universe was eternal? Philosophers I could understand, but I would
be interested why any theologians would reach that conclusion --- if
they really did. Perhaps I don't understand his latter comment.

--Merv