Re: [asa] Pinnock on Climbing out of the Swamp (was Lamoureux, Concordism, and Inerrancy)

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Mon Mar 10 2008 - 21:00:42 EDT

If the criterion is "not impossible" then of course all manner of things can be accepted. But after a certain number of questionable things have to be accepted on that basis then we ought to start wondering if perhaps we're going at things the wrong way. It's "not impossible" that Jesus really restored the sight of one blind man as he was approaching the city (Lk.18:35) and then two as he was leaving it (Mt.20:29-30), one of whom Mark (10:46) doesn't mention. It's "not impossible" that the genealogies of Jesus in Matthew and Luke are both historically accurate. And it's "not impossible" that Jesus threw the money changers out of the temple twice, once at the beginning of his ministry (John) & once at the end (synoptics). But doesn't this begin to sound a bit suspicious?

(BTW, it will be a sure sign that someone has missed the point if he/she proceeds to demonstrate that any or all of these things is "not impossible." I've already said that!)

& we can't evaluate the historical character of one verse while making the unexamined assumption that everything else in the text is historical. If we're to give serious consideration to the question of whether or not Nathanael's statement at the beginning of Jesus' ministry that he was "Son of God" and "King of Israel" is historical we have to consider the question of whether or not Philip's description of him as "him about whom Moses in the law and also the prophets wrote"
on the same putative occasion and in the same text & as an introduction to Nathanael's statement is historical. You can't simply assume that the latter really happened at that point in Jesus' ministry & then use that assumption to support the claim that the statement attributed to Nathanael really happened at that time.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/