[asa] Re: [asa] Martin Luther? He wasn't so bad, says Pope -Times Online (fwd)

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Sun Mar 09 2008 - 16:50:51 EDT

It's a little hard to know how much weight to give this report. Cardinal Kasper is cited indirectly but it's not clear just what "move" he is supposed to refer to. Is it simply a papal statement that some accusations against Luther, such as the claim that he wanted to split the church, are false? Or a formal removal of his excommunication? In any case I can't imagine that it would be a more significant move than Roman approval of the Joint Declaration on the Doctrine of Justification which, important as it was, has not fundamentally changed the Roman position on the non-ecclesial character of Lutheran (or non-Roman) churches.

The ignorance of some of the responses to the article is amazing.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/