Re: [asa] Criminalizing Home Schoolers

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Sun Mar 09 2008 - 15:49:52 EDT

The Time article is basically accurate from what I understand of the facts
and legal issues involved in the case. It's important to note, as the Time
article does, that this is not a case about creationism or the content of
any particular home school curriculum. It originates from a child abuse
case. But there are some strange political dynamics involved -- for
example, I heard the head of the California teacher's union interviewed
about the case, and he was glowingly in favor of the ruling and somewhat
dismissive of home schooling in genearl -- not surprisingly, it seems to me,
given that teacher employment suffers because of home schooling. Bottom
line, if this interpretation of the California law is upheld by the higher
courts, home schooling parents in that state will need to have state
teaching credentials to home school their kids six years old or older.

On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 2:56 PM, Dave Wallace <wdwllace@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1720697,00.html?imw=Y
>
> Does anyone have any more background on this. I looked at the material
> on the net and as best I can tell TIME is over reacting.
>
> Dave W (CSCA)

David W. Opderbeck
Associate Professor of Law
Seton Hall University Law School