[asa] Book(s) on Hermeneutics?

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Fri Mar 07 2008 - 20:49:24 EST

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend some reading on hermeneutics. We have
some good stuff on inspiration, such as Peter Enns recent book. But, once
we've decided that, say, the original hearers of the text would have thought
of the sky as a solid dome over a flat earth, and we're reasonably
comfortable with that in terms of the inspired nature of the text, how do we
move from that to the application and authority of the text? Evangelical
hermeneutics in particular has been focused on discerning and applying the
original meaning of the text. I've come across plenty of references seeking
to defend the "traditional" evangelical literal-grammatical-historical
hermeneutic. I'd be very interested in sources that are seeking to develop a
more nuanced evangelical hermeneutic.

--
David W. Opderbeck
Associate Professor of Law